Thursday, September 20, 2012

I and Eyes

Today's struggle while teaching with digital technology: not having their eyes.

As a teacher, I have not really considered how important it is to see my student's eyes.  I mean, stopped to reflect on how much simple eye contact transmits: engagement, understanding, confusion, unity. . . Of course, like so many things, I have suggested this importance thousands of times.  After all, how often have I said, "look up please," or used physical proximity to make someone with his head down engage me?  It is so common, I do not even notice anymore.  And there's the problem.

When students are not looking at me because they are looking somewhere else--intently at a book or mindlessly into space--I can make a quick read of the situation, determine if I need to get them reengaged, and, if so, consider how best to do so.  But when they have the laptop open while I am using my computer to explain something projected onto the screen at the front of the room, it is a bit more confusing.

I know most people would say, "just tell them to put their screens down when you are talking."  Of course I do this.  Sometimes.   On one of the first days of class, we decided that I would say "Acute" when it was time for them to really look at me--acute representing the angle that their laptop screen should at (their suggestion).  I realize that I am ultimately in control of the technology, not the other way around.

But what about the numerous times that they could be looking at a document just as easily on their own computer?  And what about the times that I share an article that includes hyperlinks that they want to check out?  Or the times when I tell them about a helpful website, and they want to explore it?  Or bring up a name I think they should know, and they want to learn about the person on the spot? This is when I struggle, because to deny them these moments could be to deny them a moment of genuine curiosity or engagement.

When I ask students about these moments, they assure me that they are listening, that disengaging eye contact does not mean they have lost the thread of what I am saying.  I know others have studied, discussed, and experimented with this element of the technology-enabled classroom: Rheinghold, Davidson, Turkle.  But I am also finding that it is much easier to read about and ponder over than to actually encounter.

Getting comfortable with the ways that students use devices in class is going to take some work.  As well as the help and cooperation of my students.   

No comments:

Post a Comment