Saturday, September 8, 2012

Resistance is Not Futile

The latest from my adventures in teaching digital technology.  The students are giving group presentations focusing on learning experiences.  While one objective of this activity is to examine helpful ways to use technology, particularly Google Presentation, and create engaging slide shows, my main interest is in what they do when not presenting.  I am interested in how they fulfill their roles as audience members.

To this end, each student has a laptop in front of him or her during the presentations.  On that computer screen, they are supposed to have open a shared Google Doc on which they make comments in real time.  I stress the word supposed because I am not sitting behind them;  I do not have a handy mirror reflecting back to me what they are doing while their classmates present; I can not eavesdrop on their activity with a big brother screen on my computer.  As I told them, this is an experiment to see what benefits, if any, a computer has for them as audience members.

When the presentations are over, I told them we will discuss the degree to which it was helpful to have a device open during presentations.  We will also look at the comments on the Google Docs and evaluate if the feedback is constructive and purposeful.  I look forward to these discussions, anticipating some honest conversation concerning whether the computer became a distraction.  Honest because I have allowed them, even mandated, that they have computers open.  They do not have to worry about the kinds of consequences that result in furtive device usage.  Hopefully this conversation will prove to be a learning experience in and of itself.

Regardless, I have already learned something about changing habits.  It has been extremely difficult for me not to admonish them as I have watched them type some silly-seeming comments:  

WOO. very cool. Trombone=awesome. MURRKAT ROCKS!!! meoowWwWwWw great presentation by all the ladies. <3.

After the first presentation, I was on my way to making an announcement when I realized, "this is what I am asking them to do."  After all, if I want an honest discussion about their use of technology, the students and I need to start from their natural inclinations.  Which has meant restraining my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment